Saturday 18 February 2012

So far, so good ...


The Starting Point ...

I've now completed the first week!
No blisters, no cramps. I haven't lost any weight, though: or have I put on more muscle to replace those fatty pounds?
It was great walking, and great company - Brian and Jill Rowson for a couple of days, and Richard Dale for the next three.
Most of the time it was the South West Coast Path, with only a couple of minor diversions. It's largely cliff-top walking, with a churning sea often 100m or more below. There were also the great sandy beaches of Northwest Cornwall, with endless breakers. There weren’t many others on the walk at this time of year, but surfers and kite karters were already out and about.
The only downside was the weather. Sunshine only on the first day, and then nothing but the odd fleeting glimpse. And for most of the time there was a brisk Northerly wind right in one's face. But it was February, after all, so maybe that should have been expected. At least it didn't rain. February filldyke it was not. Hosepipe bans loom.
... and where I've got to so far

Total distance travelled worked out at 129km, or a little over 80 miles. My Timex watch/ chronometer/ altimeter says that ascents totaled 3,210m (about 10,000ft). I think that may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but not by too much.
At least I know I can do it. I’m looking forward to the next couple of weeks, starting at the end of April. (Works at home to monitor first, and then a couple of weeks on the other side of the Atlantic.) Some of the stretches are even more up-and-down than those I’ve already done, so it may be rather testing.
We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment